STEP ONE: Preparations for adopting Ihraam
- Clip all nails.
- Remove the pubic and arm hairs.
- Do not shave/trim the beard (Men).
- Perform Ghusl.
- Apply perfume to the body (Men).
1. At the Meeqaat:
- Change into Ihraam (2 pieces for men).
- Say: “Labayk-al-laa Hum-ma Umratan”
- Recite the Tal-beeyah.
2. Ihraam’s Restrictions:
- Do not cut the nails.
- Do not remove any hair.
- No sewn clothes & footwear below ankle (Men)
- No perfume.
- No covering on the head (men only).
- No carnal desire / relationship.
- No marriage proposal or ceremony conducted.
- No clothing restrictions for the female except for the veil & gloves.
- No hunting, scaring, or chasing of animals.
STEP THREE: Umrah
1. Performance of ‘Umrah
- Enter the Haram/Masjid according to Sunnah.
- In Wudu, begin Tawaaf at the Black Stone.
- Kiss, touch or point hands to the Black Stone.
- Say: Bis-mil-laahi wal Ham-du Lil-laah.
- Walk anti-clockwise around the Ka’bah.
- Walk briskly, expose the right shoulder only in the first three rounds. (Men only)
- Between Yemeni corner & Black Stone, read: “Rab-banaa Aatenaa Fid-dunyaa Hasanatan wa fil Aakhirate Hasanatan wa Qinaa Azhaa-ban-naar”.
- Complete seven rounds in this manner.
- Finish the last round without pointing the hand.
- Pray 2 rak’ah behind Maqam Ibraaheem.
- Descend to Zam Zam well and drink of it.
2. Performance of Sa’ee
- Begin at Safa, recite (Ch. 2: 158) and make Du’ah.
- Between the two green lights, walk briskly (men only).
- At Marwah, offer Du’ah.
- Go to Safa & repeat actions done at Marwah.
- Complete the 7th rounds at Marwah
- No specific Du’ah/Zhikr during Sa’ee.
- Shave/shorten the hair.
- Now, your ‘Umrah is completed.
STEP FOUR: The Days of Hajj
1. The Day of Tar-wee-yah (8th Zhul-Hijjah)
- Adopt Ihraam, wherever you are.
- Read: “La-bayk Al-laa-hum-ma Haj-jah”
- Recite the Tal-bee-yah.
- After sunrise, go to Mina.
- Pray Zhur, ‘Asr, Maghrib, Esha & Fajr shortening without combining, on time.
- Be constantly in ‘Ebaadah.
2. The Day of ‘Arafah (9th of Zhul-Hijjah)
- After sunrise, go to Arafah before Zawaal
- Pray Zhur & ‘Asr combined and shortened with 1 Azaan & 2 Iqaamah.
- Until sunset, busy oneself in any form of ‘Ebaadah, e.g. Du’ah standing facing the Ka’bah.
- After sunset, leave ‘Arafah and go to Muzdalifah.
3. The Night at Muzdalifah
- Upon arrival, offer Maghrib & ‘Eshaa shortened and combined with one Azhaan and two Iqaamah.
- Pass the nights resting & sleeping.
- Pray Fajr and offer Du’ah just before sunrise.
- Do not spend the night in wake and talking.
4. Day of Nahr/Sacrifice -10th Day of Zhul-Hijjah
- Before sunrise, leave Muzdalifah for Mina.
- Stone ‘Aqabah with 7 pebbles saying, “Allaahu Akbar” at each throwing.
- Offer the sacrifice & shave your head (women will shorten their hair). The order of these actions does not matter.
- Take a bath, don new apparel, apply perfume and leave for Makkah to perform Tawaaf-ul-Ifaadah & Sa’ee.
5. Days of Tashreeq 11th, 12th,13th of Zhul-Hijjah
- Waajib to spend the nights of 11th, 12th, & 13th in Mina.
- After Zawaal on all 3 days, stone all three pillars with seven pebble each, beginning with the small & ending with the large.
- At each throwing say: Allaahu Akbar
- After stoning the small & medium pillar on each day, offer Du’ah facing the Ka’bah.
- Spend the Days of Mina in ‘Ebaadah.
6. Tawaaf-ul-Wadaa’ should the very last duty before leaving Makkah for home.
7. Congratulations and Hajj Mabroor (May Allah accept your hajj): Taqab-ba-lal-laahu Min-naa wa min-kum