UMRAH (STEP BY STEP) ARTICLE
HOW TO PERFORM UMRAH
By Khalid Bin Al-Walid Mosque Toronto, Canada
Step # 1:
- When you reach the prescribed station (Al-meeqat), make Ghusl if it is possible.
- Ghusl is a full washing of the whole body) as you do in Janaabat (impurity cause of sexual intercourse or ejaculation etc.
- Use the best perfume you can afford, then afterwards put on your Ihram (the two piece garment –Izar and rida) both white.
- A woman wears what she has available as long as they do not display her adornments or resemble men’s clothing.
Step # 2:
- Then, enter the state of Ihraam by saying: “ La-bay-ka Al-laa-hum-ma Umrah ”
- Thereafter, recite the Talbeeyah as much as possible.
“ Here I am at your service. O lord! Here I am, here I am. No partner do you have. Here I am, truly, the praise and the favor is yours, and the dominion. No partner do you have”
- It is an obligation to enter into the state of Ihraam at the prescribed station (al-meeqat). It is not permissible to bypass the designated station of the Ihraam on your route without being in Ihraam or assuming the state of Ihram if you intend to make Hajj or Umrah.
Step # 3: Remember the Prohibition of Ihraam
After assuming the state of Ihraam, the following are prohibited:
In General this is prohibited:
- Remove hair from any part of the body.
- Cut the finger or toe nails.
- Apply perfume on your body and clothing.
For Men this is prohibited:
- Wear any sewn clothing (only for the men).
- Cover the head with anything that is directly touching the head (only for the men).
Sexual acts during Hajj & Umrah:
- Sexual intercourse. This is the most serious prohibition, because it invalidates hajj in its entirety.
- It is also prohibited to touch a woman with sexual desire, whether it includes; kissing or fondling.
- Contract marriages. A muhrim should not marry nor should he get married to.
Others things that is not allowed:
- Kill any land game or to assist in hunting or to frighten it from its place of dwelling.
- Women must not cover the face with veil (niqaab) or burqu’ (drape). She must not wear (kafazain) gloves on her hands.
Step # 4: Proceed to Makkah in the state of Ihraam
- The Talbeeyah should be frequently be recited until the arrival at Makkah.
- Enter the Haram or the masjid according to Sunnah.
Step # 5: The Tawaf:
- Begin the TAwah at the black stone.
- Kiss, touch, or point hands to the black stone
- Say: Bismillahi Wal-ham-du Lil-laah
- Walk anti-clockwise around the kabah
- Walk briskly, expose the right shoulder only in the first three rounds (For Men only).
- Between Yemeni Corner & Black Stone, read: “Rab-banaa Aatenaa Fid-dunyaa Hasanatan wa fil Aakhirate Hasanatan wa Qinaa Azhaa-ban-naar”.
- Complete seven rounds in this manner
- Finish the last round without pointing the hand
Step # 6: Pray Two Rakah
- Pray 2 rak’ah behind Maqam Ibraaheem.
- Descend to Zam Zam well and drink of it.
Step #7: Perfomance of Sa’ee
- After observing the two rak’ah, then proceed to As-safa and do the sa’ee between As-safa and Al- marwa seven times.
- Begin at Safa, recite (Ch. 2:158 in the Quran) and make Dua
- Between the two green lights, walk briskly (men only).
- At marwah, offer Dua
- Go to Safa & repeat actions done at marwah
- Complete the 7th rounds at Marwah
- No specific Dua during Sa’ee
- Upon completion of Sa’ee, shave or shorten your hair.
- With that, your ‘Umrah is completed.
If you intend to make hajj, all you have to do is change the wording of your intention at the Meeqaat by saying: “labayka Allaa-humma Hajjan”. Repeat the talbeeyah as frequently as possible until you have pelted the pillar of Aqaba (the one nearest to Makkah).
Benefited from this Article, blog, or service, please consider donating something even if it is a one dollar ($1):
Help Us Maintain the House of Allah.
If everyone visiting our site made $27/month donation or one time $97 donation, then we would :
- Add some cool services to the site for free that would benefit you the most.
- Create more motivational articles, quotes, lectures you need.
- We would create HD videos (which means we have to buy the camera).
- We we will not ask for a donation this year.
- Our fundraiser would be done immediately because we have the money this year.
- You helped us maintain the house of Allah.
- You helped us pay expenses such electricity, lights, water, and others...